Home » LED News, Trends, Applications » LED India News » Indian city Chennai to install 74,000 new LED streetlights

Indian city Chennai to install 74,000 new LED streetlights

Indian city Chennai to install 74,000 new LED streetlights

By BizLED Bureau

 Sep 28, 2016: Following the successful installation of 85-kilo watt solar panels, and saving Rs 15 million per month, Indian city Chennai has now strengthened its renewable energy campaign, with Chennai Corporation set to install 74,000 new LED streetlights.

The LED street lighting installation comes as a move towards energy saving policy. This second phase of streetlight extension will cost around Rs 1,450 million, according to industry sources. Out of the entire 2,57,000 streetlight network, 70% have made the switch from sodium vapour lamp to LEDs. The remaining 30% will get converted within 2018, for which Chennai Corporation has availed a loan of Rs 870 million from Tamil Nadu Urban Development Fund.

READ ALSO: Chennai installs 96,000 LED streetlights

Over the past three years, the corporation has converted 1,70,000 streetlights into LEDs and, saving Rs 180 million power consumption charges per year. The corporation has replaced LED bulbs in the bus route roads and main roads across Chennai. However, there are some interior roads where LED replacement needs to be done. Such areas include Otteri, Choolai and Pattalam.

Indian city Chennai to install 74,000 new LED streetlights

The corporation has plans to set up rooftop solar panels in 77 buildings by the end of 2016.Out of which, power generation is in full swing in 36 buildings while, another 15 buildings are ready for installation. The remaining buildings will get solar panels by 2017.

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*