Home » LED News, Trends, Applications » LED India News » LED streetlights will illuminate 43,665 villages in Maharashtra

LED streetlights will illuminate 43,665 villages in Maharashtra

LED streetlights will illuminate 43,665 villages in Maharashtra

By BizLED Bureau

Mar 5, 2016: According to the reports, government officials in Maharashtra, India have announced to replace the existing CFL streetlights in villages. An estimated 43, 665 villages will have LED-powered streetlights. The news was published by Moneycontrol.com, a leading financial news portal.

LEDs are energy efficient and are estimated to cut energy consumption by close to 60%. The state’s Energy Minster is excited about this change and pinned high hopes for the project. He stated, ‘if every village streetlights were replaced with 60W 50 LED bulbs, the additional load in peak hours shall be reduced by 50%’.

READ ALSO: Indian govt will save Rs 455 billion under LED program by 2019

The state has come up with the scheme to provide subsidized LED bulbs. The villagers will receive the LED bulbs at 90% subsidy while the rest 10% will be paid by village Panchayat Raj.

LED streetlights will illuminate 43,665 villages in Maharashtra

District Councils (Zila Panachayat), Member of Parliament (MP) or a Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) funds are responsible for the funds needed for the program. Villages with a population over 5,000 people will be given a priority under state government schemes such as Gadge Baba Gram Swachchata Abhiyan. There is a special provision for tribal villages as they are entitles for 100% subsidy in LED bulb scheme.

READ ALSO: Ludhiana will have LED powered streetlights soon!

These district councils have the responsibility to survey the demand from villages and collate the data to Maharashtra Energy Development Agency (MahaUrja). This agency will inspect the technical aspects and convey details including wattage of LED bulbs that need to be used to the district councils.

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*